Wednesday, January 8, 2014

WIP Wednesday

I had high hopes of finishing this quilt last week and then my 3 year old got sick and wanted snuggles from her momma all day.  How can you say no to snuggles?

I am hoping to finish up the top this week and get it basted and quilted this weekend so I can start a quilt for a brain cancer auction.

My rows are all sewn, just need to be ironed and pieced together.

I am linking up with WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Finished Baby Quilt

I bought a bunch of solids a few years ago for a solids challenge. I was able to participate due to some other commitments/conflicts, so the fabric sat in my stash. I saw a great churn dash quilt pattern in Camille Roskelley's new(ish) book Simply Retro and loved it. I decided to use up some of my solids for a quick and simple baby quilt. I backed it in minky, a first for me. I'm not 100% happy with how the quilting turned out. I didn't use batting because the baby is coming in April and lives down south...not exactly ideal for a baby quilt backed in minky with batting, so I didn't use batting and the thread pulled some of the minky through the quilt top. There was no fixing, changing, altering no matter how hard I tried. It isn't really noticeable on the black part of the quilt, but it is noticeable in the pink and in some areas more than others. My husband thinks it looks fine and that we should give it to his friends for their baby...what do you all think?

Sorry for the indoor photos, it is way too cold in the Northeast to be outside taking pictures of anything right now...last I looked with the wind chill it was -35.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sunday Sewing

My mom asked for some mug rugs using any scraps from the quilts I made every one for Christmas.  I was able to cut up 3.5 inch squares and make 5 mug rugs using scraps from just 1 quilt.  I also practice some FMQ such as orange peel and writing.  I used up most of the leftover grey fabric that I used for the appliquéd grey ribbons on the quilts.  

(Hope). It is hard to see because I matched the grey thread so closely for the appliqué.

(Orange peel). I hope to use this technique on a scrappy quilt I made late last year that is all patchwork.